1. Accepting that I’m a beginner dancer and I may not catch onto choreography as quickly as more advanced dancers. As Olivia said one time, “everyone has their own dance journey”.
2. Be more confident when I teach.
3. Sometimes letting the kids lead dance activities helps them stay more engaged.
4. Asking kids what they want to listen to may motivate them to participate more. One of the little girls was persistent in letting me know she wanted to listen to Don Omar’s “Zumba”. I played the song and she kept asking me to play it over and over again. So I learned that making dance classes really student-centered can change the dynamic.
5. I need to listen to more music from Central and Latin America!
I found Remezcla, a website dedicated to Latin culture and music!